Monday, March 08, 2010

Monday's Musings ~ What is a Soul-Mate?

I just read a great article in our Think magazine from Focus Press by Sharon Simmons titled "They Can't All Be Edward Cullen." In it she cautions us about the dangers of what she refers to "soul-mate-ism". She points out that a majority of young single women are so determined to find first and for-most their soul-mate and that when a marriage becomes distressed for any reason they simply move on because this one may not be their soul-mate after all. How discouraging this can be to women (and men) everywhere that are not taught that marriage is hard work.

This really made me step back and think about my marriage and what I am teaching my daughters... and sons (who by the way have read and re-read the Twilight series too) about what it takes to really make a marriage work. I mean, I often refer to Eric as my soul-mate. And he is. I truly believe that God sent Eric to me. But I had very realistic views of what my soul-mate would be. I mean, lets face it.... at the time God put Eric in my life I was totally NOT looking for my soul's mate. ( I am always amazed at God's timing!) You see, my version of a soul-mate has always been someone that was beside you no matter what.... always helping you in your own struggles in life and in faith. Someone you knew that you could argue something out.... get mad at... or have mad at you over something big or small ... but never doubt their commitment to you and you to them. My soul's mate is the man God put in my life to be my best friend, to be my lover, and to strive to help me and our family to reach our ultimate goal to serve God and to reach Heaven.

I want to teach my children that first you must find someone who is good for your soul... someone who will put your relationship with God as top priority to them and you should have their relationship with God as your own top priority as well. Don't rush into a relationship with expectations that are unrealistic. ...... such as thinking you can change that person.... if they are not a believer don't think that your relationship with them will bring them to Christ. Pray. Start praying right now for your mate... whether you think you will marry soon or not for years... start praying for your mate. Don't set unrealistic expectations for what marriage is..... because the true reality of marriage is that it is hard work. But when a marriage has God as its focus it is the most rewarding relationship God created between men and women!


Mal 2:15 (ESV) Did he not make them one, with a portion of the Spirit in their union? And what was the one God seeking? Godly offspring. So guard yourselves in your spirit, and let none of you be faithless to the wife of your youth.

No comments: