Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Wenesday's Word ~ A quiet spirit

1Peter 3:4-6 (ESV) but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening.

I have often heard stories of my Grandmother (my dad's mother) and her gentle and quiet spirit.... how she submitted to my Grandfather in matters and how she was seen as a wonderful example to her children and grandchildren..... I loved to sit at her feet as a young person and listen to her stories of growing up, meeting my Grandfather, and having children. And although many people would have passed her stories up as boring, or menial I found myself transfixed by the way she looked at even the simplest of things. Even years after my Grandfather had passed away she was completely devoted in heart to him and that came out each and every time she spoke about him. Her love of God was such a pillar that is shone through everything she did. Her home was a place of peace and was always full of welcoming love. Her simple dress and simple lifestyle is such a blessed memory.

No comments: